A watershed group is a consolidation of varying interest groups into a network of professionals, landowners and general public that work together to build trust through understanding and cooperation while transcending traditional institutional boundaries to develop a collaborative approach to local water resource management issues and projects.
The Upper Yampa River Watershed Group represents a strong collective voice to protect and enhance the health of the upper Yampa River watershed using a science-based approach in consideration of technical issues. The Group’s area of interest is the upper Yampa River watershed from the headwaters of the Yampa River to the confluence of and including Elkhead Creek. The Watershed Group includes both a broad stakeholders group made up of local community members and a Technical Committee responsible for leadership and decision-making.
The Upper Yampa River Watershed Group is a current program of the Routt County Conservation District.
- We submitted an application for 319 funding on January 31, 2012 and have been accepted into the program! We hope to go under contract with the State of Colorado Dept. of Health and Environment this winter.
- We received a grant from the CWCB’s Colorado Healthy River Fund program for work on our State of the Watershed Report.
- A Technical Committee has been appointed to work on the deliverables of the Watershed Plan. A final draft of the Plan’s outline will be available soon.
Other Watershed Topics:
- We are writing one funding proposals for the Armstrong Creek Restoration project in California Park, a Special Interest Area in Routt National Forest. The project partners are: the US Forest Service, Trout Unlimited, Colorado Parks & Wildlife, the City of Craig, and Tri-State Energy. Additional funding sources are currently under discussion.
- RCCD is currently working with local high school science teacher Sarah Blakeslee to bring River Watch back to Routt County. More information about River Watch can be found here.
- RCCD is working with the Division of Water Resources (District 6), the Upper Yampa Water Conservancy District, Trout Unlimited, the Community Ag Alliance, NRCS, and the Routt County Extension Office to put on a water workshop in early March of 2013. Details about this workshop are forthcoming.
- click here for the Upper Yampa River Basin Implementation Plan
- Click here for the Yampa Basin 208 Plan (final version)
- Water-Quality Assessment and Macroinvertebrate Data for the Upper Yampa River Watershed, Colorado, 1975 through 2009
- Headwaters Magazine: 2010 issue on Watershed Groups
- Citizen’s Guide to Colorado Water Quality Protection
- Citizen’s Guide to Where Your Water Comes From
- Citizen’s Guide to Colorado Water Law
- Citizen’s Guide to Interstate Compacts
- 2012 Triennial Review Report2012
- Appendices to the 2012 305(b) Report
*To access additional watershed group information: return to the home page, hover your mouse over ‘Upper Yampa Watershed Group’ and select from the dropbox.